A Scripture Text for 2017 Thanksgiving and the Beginning of Advent 2018
(Advent 1B, Revised Common Lectionary)
“I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind— just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among you— so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ. He will also strengthen you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful; by him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” 1 Cor 1:4-9 NRSV
The work of ABC Wisconsin for which to give thanks and to anticipate…
(as expressed at the November 4, 2017 Board of Managers meeting)
- A commitment to be a region that is equipped for and engages in healthy and constructive conversations across human differences as to display the unifying power of Christ.
- Peniel (Karen) Baptist Church in Milwaukee was received as a new affiliating church. Pastor Laku Htoo La and Ehtoo La were present to represent the church.
- Following the lead of FBC Eau Claire, who gave $25K to ABC efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico (ABC/PR is a sister ABC region), the Board voted to contribute $12.5K and to invite our remaining churches to raise an additional $12.5K. This effort will be processed through One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS): Rebuild PR, an offering that commits 100% of gifts to direct relief efforts.
- In preparation of the upcoming work of the elected Governance Task Force, the Board discussed nonprofit Board functionality (fiduciary, strategic, and generative) and practices (mission commitment and advancement, recruitment planning, and (in our case) spirit-filled discernment).
- The Board approved a 2018 expenses budget of $700,878 (~$10K decrease from 2017 budget), and acknowledged the current strength of the investment accounts, a generous donation from FBC Eau Claire, which will be added to the investment portfolio designated to support the birth of new ministry, and the continued faithful giving of mission support of all our churches.