An Invitation to Pray for your Family
For our regional family – American Baptist Churches of Wisconsin – a simple invitation:
On the 20th of each month in the year 2020,
set aside 20 minutes to pray for ABC Wisconsin.
“20-20 Pray ABC Wisconsin”
That’s only 20 minutes on a designated day for the whole month. Of course, we welcome and are in need of daily prayers, but the hope is that we can be assured that at least on one day a month our American Baptist brothers and sisters across the state are united in prayer for common or connected things and listening together to God for guidance.
You can check back to this web page for a list of items to pray about, which may be updated from time to time throughout the year. Many of these items will be consistent throughout the year though I trust in the Holy Spirit’s movement in each of our lives to direct on how or what specifically to pray about during any given month.
Here are some things to keep in your prayers (no priority assumed): This list will be updated by the 19th of each month.
- For patience and wisdom for our Pastors and Church Leaders as they make and implement decisions as the state and country opens up for more public gatherings and interactions in the coming months; that we may all be guided by care for all.
- For healing and comfort for our pastoral families who have been directly impacted by illness, family strains, grief, and death in this season.
- For grace for our pastors and congregations who are ministering directly among those infected with COVID-19 and their families, and those who have had to provide a ministry of comfort with families who have experienced death of loved ones, due to a variety of causes, during this pandemic.
- For our communities who are particularly impacted by the most recent examples of racism, for example: killings of Ahmaud Abery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd; inequitable health care systems and financial aid distribution negatively impacting immigrants and communities of color; and targeted racial aggression toward Asians. — For our communities who are not directly impacted, for compassion and educational opportunities that would lead to shared concerns and gospel work.
- For collaborative educational efforts among Camp Tamarack, Pine Like Camp (ELCA), and Trinity Lutheran Church (ELCA) in Waupaca in partnership with Progressive Baptist Church in Milwaukee on the issue of systemic racism.
- For civility and wisdom as public officials make decisions and recommendations for public health.
- For schools and school officials as they anticipate a fall of great uncertainty; for patience, wisdom, and leadership as decisions about school openings are implemented.
- For Rev. Marie during her Sabbatical, Part I, June 15 through August 14; for rest, rejuvenation, and a renewed spirit; for Region staff in carrying out duties during this time.
- For protection for those in our congregations and ministry partners serving on the frontlines of essential businesses and activities, and others who begin to go back to workplaces.
- For all engaged in the work of the church — that we are intentionally listening, discerning, and learning during this season so as to strengthen our mission and ministries.
- For Tamarack Transformed programming; for Summer Camp Director, Dianna Brophey; for guidance for her and all those she will work with ministering with our campers and camp families in creative ways this summer. For all region staff for continued wisdom regarding all of Camp Tamarack summer programming, rental, and outdoor ministries.
- For wisdom for the Annual Gathering Program Committee as they transition to planning for an online meeting of the Annual Gathering on Oct 10.
- For guidance for denominational leaders who are building up resources that might be used to respond to current, emerging, and potential future needs of our clergy, congregations, and ministries impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic
- For missional and leadership guidance for Wisconsin’s American Baptist Women’s Ministries, American Baptist Men’s Ministries, and Ministers Council.
- For God to move in individuals who might consider service to the region in the near future, as the Nomination season gets underway.
- For continued synergy for our Committees, Commissions, and Collaboratives as they still pursue their work on our behalf
- For WI ministry partners, for guidance and creativity during suspended in-person services and especially for our ministries providing housing or other ministries to seniors and at-risk communities, such as Tudor Oaks Senior Living Community, Housing Ministries of WI, or Milwaukee Christian Center; for those connected to our churches, and for our Campus Ministries as their annual rhythms have been truncated.
- For our local churches who are in the midst of pastoral search and candidacy processes
- For all of our extended ABC family — sister regions, national program boards, global missionaries and partners, supporting ministries, etc.
- For a special anointing for all our prayer warriors across our ABC/WI family who are holding us up in prayer
Regional Executive Minister