A Season Of Transition
After six years of service as our Regional Executive Minister, Rev. Dr. Marie Onwubuariri accepted a call to serve as Associate General Secretary of Mission Resource Development of the American Baptist Churches USA. Her service to our region will conclude with the calendar year 2020. The Board of Managers has expressed their unanimous, heartfelt appreciation for the significant contributions Dr. Onwubuariri has made to our region during her tenure.
- She strengthened our core commitment to the love of God revealed in Jesus Christ and covenantal unity (not uniformity) expressed through shared faith on a missional journey.
- She helped us develop a five-year strategic plan and complete the work it outlined, which has brought staffing and organizational structure in alignment with our gifts and priorities.
- She cared for and supported our pastors and other ministry leaders during a uniquely stressful and challenging season.
- She modeled and instructed us in theologically grounded approaches to multicultural ministry enabling us to affirm our diversity as gifts for ministry.
- She shared her creative gifts with us through poetry, spoken word, innovative ministry and biblical preaching.
- She earned her Doctor of Ministry degree from the Berkeley School of Theology.
- She led us in celebration during our 175th Annual Gathering in October 2019.
- She oft reminded us of the centrality of Christ, and of both the price and the promise of following our Lord into mission.
Last November the Board of Managers sponsored celebrations of these and other achievements. A few tribute videos were recorded by some of Dr. Onwubuariri’s many friends in Wisconsin.