The POST is an experimental community of faith of ABC/Wisconsin that was conceived with consideration to various individuals on the fringes of the ABC/Wisconsin family, current challenges facing the Christian church including categories of people that are not currently fully engaged with existing congregations for a variety of reasons, and the possibilities of mission throughout the state.
The POST's mission is to develop a community of faith purposed to:
- Place the remnant and the rising among the people of God thru
- Online & in-person engagement toward Jesus Christ-discipleship for
- Service to the ministries and communities connected to the ABC Wisconsin region while
- Trusting in the guidance and revelation of the Holy Spirit
The POST currently meets online via Zoom on Monday evenings from 8-8:45 PM CT. If you have trouble joining, read our handy guide here.
If you are interested to learn more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or request to join Facebook group: “The POST-ABC of WI”
To read an article by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel run on August 15, 2016 about this experimental community, CLICK HERE.
News from the POST
MONDAYS, STARTING DECEMBER 2, 2019 | 8-8:45PM CT
The POST is an experimental online faith community growing in Christian discipleship in a “post-____” landscape. To join, visit abcofwi.org/the-post.
In 2017, the region's Executive Committee recommended a "ministry of conversation" priority to our current strategic endeavors. In essense, the committee articulated a priority to equip our region to engage in difficult conversations across human differences. This commitment was later affirmed by the Board at a subsequent meeting.
Given that our mission statement highlights the affirmation of our diversities, and the experiences of such diversities vary greatly among individuals and communities, we have a unique opportunity to live out the unifying power of Jesus Christ among us in very real ways among ourselves and within our respective communities and spaces of engagement.
The hope is that as we engage in difficult conversations across our human differences in respectful and constructive ways, we would:
- grow deeper in our own understanding and pursuit of our joint mission
- exemplify an alternate way of being together that is clearly different and attractive as compared to the models of divisiveness, dismissiveness, and violence that we too often see around us
- through our conversations find ways to act alongside one another to impact common concerns of our faith and discipleship
Following are ways we as a region are engaging in this ministry of conversation:
“Brave Conversations About Race” (July 2018 – Ministers Meetup Series)
“Living Room Conversation” on Immigration: The POST (Apr/May 2018)
Mission/Ministry conversations: Annual Gathering (Oct 2017)
“In this Together” | More Than Lip Service” (Marie Onwubuariri, Apr 2020)
Submitted by Marie Onwubuariri
There are some words that are just rich in meaning. “Post” is one of them. Current denotative meanings of the word include: 1. pole for support/connection or to mark a position, direction, or guidance (i.e. signpost) (n); 2. a job in which one is serving an official duty (n); 3. to put something on the Internet where others can see; make known to the public (v/n); 4. As a prefix, indicates “after” something; and 5. the place (hub) where letters/parcels are received and sent (n).1
Can you imagine what it might look like for a group of people who combine biblical notions of ekklesia with the suggestions of one word rich in meaning to shape a community of faith that pursues Jesus-discipleship in ways that are alternative to brick and mortar churches?
I can imagine it – and we at ABC Wisconsin are pursuing it. It’s called “The POST.” The POST is a new faith community that we are forming:
- that serves as a signpost of sorts – where “un/displaced” people can connect and gain support, guidance, edification, and clarity of Christian purpose.
- that assigns and equips for designated posts – or jobs based on unique giftedness and passions for the work of God.
- that acknowledges and leverages online posting and interfacing capability – bridging participants together across geographical locales and physical isolation.
- that engages “post-_____ realities (-modern, -denominational, etc.)” – for a relevant foundation for spiritual formation and discipleship.
- that serves as a post for incoming and outgoing mission-related efforts – through deployment, debriefing and learning, and networking.
We are still in the forming stages, so if this resonates with you, contact me so we can converse more about how the POST may be an edifying stop on your faith journey.
1 Summarized from Cambridge online dictionary.